The Mayfield Board of Education showcased the fifth and sixth grade Science Olympiad team Wednesday night at its regular meeting.
Superintendent Keith Kelly presented certificates to students on the team that placed fifth overall out of 17 teams earlier this month at the Regional Science Olympiad Tournament at Case Western Reserve University.
Here are the medal winners who were recognized Wednesday, along with the events they placed in:
- Cate O'Haimhirgin, Kurt Specht, Trenton Lam, Zach Kallmeyer — first place for "Science Bowl"
- Jenna Bailey and Quinn Weber — second place in "'A' is for Anatomy"
- Laura Gorjanc and Ricky Wu — second place in "Starry, Starry Night"
- Carolina Wilson and Kurt Specht — second place in "Weather or Not"
- Ana Kasumov and Elizabeth Shneyderman — third place in "Simple Machines"
- Julianna Ciccarelli andf Michael Zemanek — third place in "Mystery Event"
- Bethany Brown and Nikita Davidenko — fourth place in "Egg Drop"
- Ana Kasumov and Elizabeth Shneyderman — fourth place in "Experimental Design"
- Anna Blum and Sasha Epelbaum — fifth place in "Leaf and Tree"
- Julianna Ciccarelli, Laura Gorjanc and Ricky Wu — fifth place in "Reflection Relay"
"We have some pretty bright students in these categories," Kelly said.
"I'd like to thank all the coaches, teachers, volunteers and parents that came to see the Olympiad and coach the kids along the way. Thank you very much for everything you've done for these wonderful children."