The city of Mayfield Heights recently posted these tips on its Facebook page for residents to keep in mind during the these days of heavy snowfall.
- Snow must remain on the property from which it was shoveled/plowed. Please do not push snow onto a neighboring property or into the street.
- Clear a 3' diameter around fire hydrants near your home to save time in emergency situations. Assist neighbors who may not be able to do this on their own.
- Keep sidewalks, walkways, and driveways clear so that safety forces can safely and quickly access your home during an emergency. Assist neighbors who may not be able to do this on their own.
- Refrain from parking in the street during snow accumulations so that our plows can properly clear the roadways.
- When clearing your driveway, deposit snow to the left of your driveway apron (when facing the house) to minimize the amount of snow pushed back into your apron by city plows.
- Drive for the conditions - take it slow and give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination.
- Give snowplows room to work -- don’t tailgate and try not to pass. If you must pass, take extreme caution and beware of the snow cloud kicked up by the plow.
- Remove any snow on your vehicle’s windows, lights, brake lights and signals. Make sure you can see and be seen.