From soup to nuts, Hillcrest Patch has covered great places to eat in the area. Late July is the beginning of peak season for local fruits and vegetables, so the best place to nosh might be at home as you savor the fruits of your labors. Grab your kids, your friends, a basket and a big straw hat, then get ready to take a step back in time.
Here is a list of pick-your-own farms within about 30 minutes of the Hillcrest area. Click on farms for directions and more information. Call before leaving because exact ripening dates depend on the weather and picking hours may vary.
Here is a fruit and vegetable calendar guide. Check farms for varieties and exact dates.
July: Cherries, raspberries, apples, peaches, plums, currants
August: Raspberries, peaches, apples, plums, grapes, peppers, tomatoes
September: peaches, plums, apples, grapes, tomatoes
Lots of other fruits and vegetables are available as fresh pre-picked. Look for nectarines, pears, peppers, corn, squash and potatoes.
West of Hillcrest
- Rosby's Greenhouse and Berry Farm : 42 E. Schaaf Road, Brooklyn Heights, 216-661-6102
North/ North East of Hillcrest
- A.B. Phillips & Sons Fruit Farm : 30 E. Main St., Berlin Heights, 419-588-2329
- Blue Jay Orchards: 17909 Rapids Road, Hiram, 440-834-4318
- Rainbow Farms : 2464 Townline Road, Madison, 440-259-4924
- Secor's Farm : 4940 Ridge Road, Perry, 440-259-3487
- Voytko Berry Farm : 11391 Franks Road, Auburn Township, 440-543-8586
- West Orchards: 3034 N. Ridge Road, Perry, 440-259-3192