Five men were arrested by the FBI Monday night on charges they planned to blow up a bridge in Brecksville's portion of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
The FBI said in a press release the public was not in danger, and an undercover FBI employee had controlled the explosive devices. In addition, the explosives were inoperable.
Arrested were: Brandon L. Baxter, 20, of Lakewood; Anthony Hayne, 35, of Cleveland; Joshua S. Stafford, 23, of Cleveland; Connor C. Stevens, 20, of Berea; and Douglas L. Wright, 26, of Indianapolis.
The five men each were charged with one count of conspiracy and one count of attempted use of an explosive, said Mike Tobin, public affairs specialist for the U.S. Department of Justice, Northern District of Ohio. Charges against Wright, Baxter and Hayne were made Monday. Stevens and Stafford were charged Tuesday.
They will appear in court on Monday. Here are all the Patch stories on the topic.
Once the stories were posted, you took the reins and started commenting. We rounded up a few of the more interesting ones. Tell us what you have to say about this bomb plot in the comments below.
- Alexandra Koeberer-Larson I do NOT want any protesting going on in Lakewood. We are peaceful city. I was troops out of the Middle East and a better life as much as anyone, but making a public nuisence out of oneself is NOT going to make the powers that be take you seriously. That is a bit of a mob mentality, we must be diplomatic.
- Janice Snyder Brandon grew up on Summit Avenue. He attended Lincoln Elementary with my sons & often came to our house after school to play & have a snack. He was always a smart kid whose grades didn't match his IQ. His homelife was a mess & he grew more & more disenfranchised as the years went by. On more than one occasion I thought he'd end up in jail--but not Federal prision. This is not a case where anyone who was paying attention would say, "I'm shocked." The FBI is to be commended for its excellent work in keeping us safe. I read the 21-page affidavit & was saddened that someone with such potential, like Brandon, would become so disconnected with society that he would resort to plotting the destruction of bridges, train derailments, & bombing the Federal Reserve. I always hoped Brandon would find his path in life. Apparently he did. It just wasn't a constructive one.
- Brian I'm always amazed by the hatred of so many towards our country and government. No one is keeping you here, if you don't like it, please leave, we will all be better of without you.
- bill budner hate your government, love your country.
- BlackFlame Hello all. I'm a Lakewood resident and an anarchists. I just want to stop by and condemn these idiots. From what I've seen, these morons were not anarchists but primitivists. They are basically against all forms of technology and believe we should live in hunter gathering societies. Anarchism has a broad body of thought from stateless socialism to those who believe in free markets. I'll also say that anarchism believe in free association and voluntarism. Blowing up a bridge would go against all anarchist principles.To those who say that anarchism is not part of the occupy movement, that is nonsense. While I agree these idiots don't represent Occupy, anarchism has played a central role in the occupy movement. The entire organization of occupy is built on anarchist principles including the idea of making it a popular and peaceful movement.
*Brecksville Patch Editor Rachel Abbey-McCafferty contributed to this post.